Saturday, August 6, 2011

August 6, 2011 Baldpate Mt

Today I just couldn't get motivated to run.  Now that I have officially signed up for an actual road race, bragged about it to all of my friends, and invited my family to come watch (as if this was my college graduation all over again), I've started to panic.  Sure, it's easy to go jogging when you have nobody to please but yourself.  But, now that I've committed to this race, I'm feeling the pressure.  Especially when it seems like everyone I know is a racer or starting to race.  Gosh, they make it look so easy!

So, to give myself a break, I decided to take Bella and head up into the woods for a hike.  There is something peaceful about hiking that has always held the ability to calm me down.  The trailhead begins not far from 5 Field Farms in Bridgton and there are several different trails or loops to choose from.  You can hike the entire trail system (about 14K I'm told) or just some.  Each trail segment is about 1/2 to 1 mile depending on what you choose.  The terrain is gradual and much of it is spent in the woods.  These are great beginner trails for anyone wanting to get out into the fresh air. 


Today I hiked up an easy trail to the summit and skipped the loops; I will save those for another day.  The majority of the hike is spent in the woods and now and then you come to a spot with a nice view.  The views look out over the surrounding Western Maine foothills and ponds, namely Holt and Peabody Pond.  At the summit, there is a flat rocky area, surrounded by pine trees, that is perfect for a picnic. 



Bella enjoyed the day immensley, crashing through the woods, chasing squirrels, and sniffing anything that was worth sniffing.  She is not much of a water dog, but get her into the woods and she is in her element.  Although I am not a hunter, I think she would have made a great hunting dog.  Or, perhaps, a search and rescue dog as her nose seldom leaves the ground when she's hiking.  I have also noticed that she, having 4 legs to my 2, can go much faster than I can, but will stop several feet up ahead to wait for me.  On the way back down, she will tend to lie down to wait for me, which I find a bit insulting; I am not that slow of a hiker and she certainly will not have time for a quick nap while she waits for me.  

 
Overall, a lovely day and a great place to clear one's head!  I'm sure tomorrow I will hear the Couch to 5K training plan calling my name.  But, until then, it is time for some much needed couch potato time!


"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of autumn." - Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment