Friday, April 22, 2011

Woman's Best Friend April 22, 2011

Hello cyber friends!  Just a writer's note, akin to reading the fine print, but I will not be updating my blog on a daily basis.  I think I'll be doing well with once per week, otherwise it may get boring listening to my ramblings (and I can ramble, believe you me). 

That being said, I HAD to mention an experience today on my run/walk, and I HAVE to introduce you to my dog Bella.  She will be one of my companions on my adventures outdoors, and she is also a huge couch potato (which is where she currently is as I'm writing this).  I got her from a rescue organization called Lucky Pup Rescue, which my Aunt Missy and Uncle Bob do volunteer work for.  I had been hemming and hawing about getting a dog for a long time; one the one hand, I was really jonesing for a pup of my own, on the other I was concerned about taking care of it.  Out of the blue, Missy called me up and said that she had a dog for me.  I agreed to go and "see" what it was all about, but made it clear I had not agreed or signed anything.  So, one sunny day 2 years ago, I went down to their farm and met Bella (she was called Queenie back then, a name that did not suit her in the least).  If I could have chosen a dog out of a catalogue that fit all my needs and lifestyle, Bella was it!  She's a yellow lab with an unknown mix of dog in her (ok, ok, so she's a mutt).  She was the right size (50 lbs), the right temperment (not too energetic but willing to get off the couch once in awhile), and very sweet.  I knew, when I saw her, she'd be coming home with me that day.  I haven't regretted it since! 



Not only that, I am learning that my running skills are on par with her behavior on the leash.  Namely, we are both beginners in this venture.  That was made very apparent to me today as we set out on our challenge.  A woman jogged by us, definately an expert at this exercise, with her dog.  Now, I don't mean to sound rude, but this lady didn't exactly exude friendliness.  She seemed more annoyed by the behavior of my dog than happy to be meeting another runner along the way.  Of course, her dog was running impressively at her side, head up and tail wagging, like he was posing for the front cover of Fitness Magazine.  MY dog was lunging at her head collar, completely unfocused on what she was supposed to be doing, trying to make friends with the runner and her dog.  My cheeks flared as I imagined Victoria Stillwell (from It's Me or the Dog) shaking her head and giving me one of her hard, judging stares.  No matter how hard I try, I cannot convince Bella that not everybody that she meets wants to be her friend.  She is an incredibly social animal, entirely confident in her ability to elicit love from people, that is never occurs to her that someone might actually NOT like her.  Gosh, what would it be like to have that kind of confidence?  Blogging friends, we certainly can learn a lot from our dogs!

Until next time....


 

No comments:

Post a Comment