Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Blueberry Ledge Trail September 2010

   To begin with, I think it is only fair to introduce myself to you, I am a couch potato. I prefer movies and books and the comforts of my couch to carrying a 50 pound backpack and taking off into the backcountry for 2 or 3 days. I once knew someone who hiked the Appalachian Trail, an impressive feat no doubt, but one that I have absolutely NO desire to experience for myself.
   But, I do not hate nature by any means. I appreciate the changing of the seasons, I know the thrill of diving feet first into an icy cold mountain stream, and I have experienced that feeling of breathlessness one can get when they have hiked up a mountain to take in amazing views. I just don’t always like the effort I have to expend to get to these places. Which is why I decided to start an outdoors column; but not one for the avid outdoors man or woman, it is one for the rest of us. The ones, sitting on our couches on a beautiful sunny day, who feel we should get outside and do something but are stumped to figure out exactly what.
Throughout this column, I hope you will join me as I huff, puff and sweat up mountains and down them so that I can give you a candid, honest summary of some of the trails, peaks, and other random outdoor experiences that are accessible for the rest of us.


Blue Berry Mountain:
  Don’t let the name fool you, this wasn’t the cute little jaunt through a fairytale meadow that I thought it would be. Sure, it starts out slow and flat, luring you into a false sense of confidence. Then, once you’re an 1/8th of a mile or so in, too far to turn back without hurting your pride, the mountain suddenly turns on you so you end up scrambling up rocks and zig zagging across open ledges.
  Ok, I might exaggerate just a bit. Call it writer’s flare if you’d like. But this mountain, possibly one of the smallest in the Evan’s Notch area, is not as easy as it looks. But the views and the chance to swim in Rattlesnake Pool are definitely worth the sweat and tears.
  There are several ways to get to the Blueberry Ledges. For those non-couch potatoes, you can try the Bickford Brook Trail, that takes you up Ames Mountain, and find the Blueberry Ridge Trail from there. Bickford Brook Trail begins at the Brickett Place just off of 113 near the Cold River Campground.
I chose to start my journey from the White Cairn Trail located down a dirt road, also off of 113. You drive in to a small parking area by a green gate. From there, it is an easy stroll down a dirt road that ends at a Stone House. The Stone House is private property, but worth a peek or two from the road as it is in a beautiful location. Before the stone house, there are 2 trails to choose, both form a loop. Most people climb up the White Cairn Trail and climb down the Stone House Trail. The mountain river and swimming pool is located on the Stone House Trail.
  Once turning onto the White Cairn Trail, you start out on a nice walk in the woods. You are lulled into thinking, “Hey, this isn’t so bad. Maybe I could do Katahdin after all. Knife Edge here I come!” Sure, there are small hills to climb, but nothing that a couch potato couldn’t handle. After about 0.8 miles your legs start to realize, possibly for the first time, that they are no longer sitting stationary in a chair watching reruns of Desperate Housewives. The trail has started to get steeper and, my legs for one, began to feel the burn. Several times you may feel the need to stop, catch your breath, and stare uneasily at the terrain in front of you as it rises steeply from the Earth. Fellow couch potatoes, feel no shame if, in the course of your hike, you feel the need to climb on all fours to scramble over some of the rocks that you may just not be tall enough to step over.
  Eventually, if your persistent enough, you come out onto open ledges that do take your breath away. The views are North to West, and are quite spectacular on a sunny day (of course, a couch potato usually does not hike on rainy ones). Once you reach the views, it is a great time to stop for lunch, take some pictures, and let your legs relax from their climb. When your body tells you your ready (or when you notice your climbing companions getting restless or when your dog starts wandering off with a different group of humans that you met on the way up, take your pick), just continue to follow the ledges around until you reach the Stone House Trail.
  From there, the climb down is much easier if you don’t mind using a completely different set of muscles. If you are clumsy, like me, you may need to take it slow so you don’t accidentally fall down. The closer you get to the end of the trail you will see Rattlesnake Brook. A marked trail on the left will lead you to Rattlesnake Pool, where I highly recommend torturing your body with a dip in the frigid water. It may be cold, but it is the most refreshing swim I have ever taken. Continue further down the trail and you will see a bridge overlooking Rattlesnake Gorge; another great spot for picture taking and resting.
  At this point, with weary legs and a feeling of triumph on your face, you spill back out onto the dirt road that will take you back to the parking lot. Once sitting safely behind the wheel of your car, with the AC on if it is a hot day, you can begin to dream of the ice cream cone that should be the reward for any couch potato hiker in the Maine woods. And, hey, go ahead and splurge for the large, you’ve certainly worked for it today!
Until next time…….

2 comments:

  1. Jess, I love the concept of this blog! I think this is just wat the average person needs. You're voice is powerful, relatable and fun. The title is fantastic--that might be my favorite part of all! I look forward to hearing about your outdoor trips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Work Cited
    Information on the Blueberry Trail courtesy of

    AMC Mountain Guide 8th Ed Appalacian Mt. Club, Boston 1999

    ReplyDelete